arahlynda

Speaks the Nightbird
Robert R. McCammon
The G.I. Diet Cookbook
Rick Gallop
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft - Stephen King I think that this was a very courageous book for Stephen King to write.

And I loved the casual, conversational tone as King shares with us, glimpse’s into his life both before and after his initial success. He doesn’t pull any punches either; we see the good, the bad and the ugly.

It is somehow, not at all, and exactly what I expected. In truth, I loved the memoir part best but even those parts that are instructional in the art of writing are very engaging.

Is it not incredible, that such a gifted, successful writer would willingly open up his own private chest, remove the tools hidden within and share his thoughts on each of them with, well anyone?
No doubt about it, this guy has chutzpah.

Here are the bits I loved:

The anecdotes from his childhood

Where ideas come from

His struggle and first big break

On Carrie

The love of his life

His brush with death

Practical advice (very accessible)

A challenge

I swear this man could write a book on how to boil water and make it interesting.

But don’t listen to me ………. listen to King:

Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s.

You cannot hope to sweep someone else away by the force of your writing until it has been done to you.

If you want to be a writer you must do two things above all others: read a lot and write a lot. There’s no way around these two things that I’m aware of, no shortcut.

Words have weight.

Let’s get one thing clear right now, shall we? There is no Idea Dump, no Story Central, no Island of the Buried Bestsellers; good story ideas seem to come quite literally from nowhere, sailing at you right out of the empty sky: two previously unrelated ideas come together and make something new under the sun. Your job isn’t to find these ideas but to recognize them when they show up.

Words create sentences; sentences create paragraphs; sometimes paragraphs quicken and begin to breathe.

I’m a slow reader, but I usually get through seventy or eighty books a year, most fiction. I don’t read in order to study the craft; I read because I like to read.